NEWBIE NEEDS HELP WITH 7 BUFF SILKIES! LOTS OF GOOD PICS OF EACH BIRD.

jessienicole

In the Brooder
6 Years
MY BEST GUESS HERE IS THAT I HAVE 5 ROOS AND 2 HENS BUT I COULD USE SOME HELP. THEY ARE 11 WEEKS OLD.

ALSO I WAS JUST TRYING TO FIND SOME GOOD LIGHTING SO PLEASE DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE BACKGROUND THEY ARE NOT LIVING IN CONSTRUCTION NETTING.

#1 (I THINK A HEN, THIS ONE IS THE SMALLEST OF THEM ALL)

#2 (I THINK A ROO) SORRY ONLY ONE PIC OF THIS ONE WOULDN'T SIT STILL.

#3 (I THINK A ROO HERE AS WELL)

#4 (I THINK A HEN)

#5 ( I THINK A ROO)

#6 ( I THINK A ROO)

AND FINALLY #7 (ALSO A ROO I THINK)

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK???

I AM SO CURIOUS AND UNSURE.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Hi there,

I am VERY far from being an expert, but if you're just looking for a guess (which I suppose is what you have done yourself) I think that #3 and #7 are roo's, #1 also possibly a roo and the rest are hens. This I have just based and comb/wattle development. I have two buff (maybe one is a partridge) silkies that are 10 weeks old and Rusty, who I am sure has to be a roo has wayyyyyy more comb than any of your birds. I'll be putting my chicks' pics up tomorrow too (for sexing advice) and I can send you the link for comparison if you like?

Silkies are hard to sex though, so probably a good idea to hang on to them til they start crowing/showing the more tell-tale signs like saddle feathers etc!

I know Silkies are the most difficult chicken to sex....I believe. But does anyone else have an idea with this set? It is funny that I thought I had 5 roos and 2 pullets and Alex thinks 5 pullets and 2 roos! Ha! (I'm sure I am the one who is wrong on this!

cockerel
pullet
cockerel
pullet
pullet
cockerel
cockerel

these are hard to sex at this age...

Last edited:
Thanks SO much for the link (i had seen this once before but had a hard time relocating it so it was helpful) and for the advice on what you think I have. I might just have to hold onto these for awhile until I can tell for sure. I'm hoping I can start to tell the difference pretty soon. Some of my silkies have bright light blue spots on their faces, does this indicate gender?

I have 6 frizzles and I can tell the difference between them all already. But these silkies are so HARD!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom