Newbie needs help!

4flock

Chirping
Sep 8, 2021
South East America
My Coop
My Coop
Not sure if I should be worried or if this is what broody looks like. I’ve read the term a few times in books or threads but haven’t seen it with my own eyes. Got my first flock in spring of ‘21.

I thought maybe she was backed up or had a double yolk egg that was being to stubborn to pass. My wife commented that yesterday she was in the box for the whole day. Even when it was treat time she didn’t leave the coop. (Mind you we do not watch the birds 24/7 and do not have cameras. However we can see their pen from our kitchen window so we noticed whose out and about periodically through the day.)
In the morning I went to check and the other 3 girls came out for a bit while I tidied up their pen and coop. She laid on the eggs. Finally saw her exit for some water and went to go poke around to see if the stubborn egg dropped but it was bc another chicken kicked her out, lol. So I did not have time to check again before work. Its 11pm now and I went to go check the egg situation and she scared the piss outa me when I reached in for eggs and touched her instead.
She’s cooing a bit, if that’s the right word. A throaty something kind of noise. Not a cluck. She lets me pet and stroke her. Seems puffy, like she is all stressed out.

Anyways- never seen my birds not on their shelf/roost at night. Thought maybe I should double check if someone with a bit more experience could point me in the right direction. She’s 13 months, full grown bird. Been laying since early October last year.

I had an andalusian go broody twice! They do stay in the nestbox at night, and just come out for short periods during the day. While broody they don't lay eggs. But, I'm surprised she didn't do something to you when you stuck your hand in the nestbox! I used a wire pet crate as a broody breaker. Ideally it has a wire floor--if she can nest on a solid floor that might prevent her broodiness from being broken. She may pull a few chest feathers out to help make a nice nest for her invisible eggs.

I had an andalusian go broody twice! They do stay in the nestbox at night, and just come out for short periods during the day. While broody they don't lay eggs. But, I'm surprised she didn't do something to you when you stuck your hand in the nestbox! I used a wire pet crate as a broody breaker. Ideally it has a wire floor--if she can nest on a solid floor that might prevent her broodiness from being broken. She may pull a few chest feathers out to help make a nice nest for her invisible eggs.
Is this a habit that will naturally go away once she realizes we have no rooster to give her eggs to hatch or something I have to fix.

Not sure if I should be worried or if this is what broody looks like. I’ve read the term a few times in books or threads but haven’t seen it with my own eyes. Got my first flock in spring of ‘21.

I thought maybe she was backed up or had a double yolk egg that was being to stubborn to pass. My wife commented that yesterday she was in the box for the whole day. Even when it was treat time she didn’t leave the coop. (Mind you we do not watch the birds 24/7 and do not have cameras. However we can see their pen from our kitchen window so we noticed whose out and about periodically through the day.)
In the morning I went to check and the other 3 girls came out for a bit while I tidied up their pen and coop. She laid on the eggs. Finally saw her exit for some water and went to go poke around to see if the stubborn egg dropped but it was bc another chicken kicked her out, lol. So I did not have time to check again before work. Its 11pm now and I went to go check the egg situation and she scared the piss outa me when I reached in for eggs and touched her instead.
She’s cooing a bit, if that’s the right word. A throaty something kind of noise. Not a cluck. She lets me pet and stroke her. Seems puffy, like she is all stressed out.

Anyways- never seen my birds not on their shelf/roost at night. Thought maybe I should double check if someone with a bit more experience could point me in the right direction. She’s 13 months, full grown bird. Been laying since early October last year.
Broody. If you want her to hatch, block off the box. Or put her in a crate with bedding food and water. And her eggs, and let her sit. It takes 21 days. But if the other hens keep kicking her out, and laying more eggs in the nest, it can keep her sitting way too long, and make it hard to know what eggs are edible vs being sat.

Sounds broody. She will keep sitting if you don't try to break her right away. Some try cold under the body. I always had the time to take her off the best box. She'll keep returning if you don't have a way to separate her from the nesting area.

Broody. If you want her to hatch, block off the box. Or put her in a crate with bedding food and water. And her eggs, and let her sit. It takes 21 days. But if the other hens keep kicking her out, and laying more eggs in the nest, it can keep her sitting way too long, and make it hard to know what eggs are edible vs being sat.
Wait what? Hens can hatch eggs without a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom