newbie needs helppppp!!! possible sick chook

bibilee911

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
Brisbane Australia
Hi. My name is phoebe from brisbane Australia. This site has been extremely helpful whenever I needed it. However I cant seem to find the info I need to help figure out if my girl is sick.Ok so today I notice my girl hadn't laid an egg and spent most the day just sleeping in the shade. Didn't notice her eat at all or drink.I got a lil worried about her as my chooks have neverdone ththat before. (I have 7 girls just under 6 months)3 out of the 7 have started laying and yesterday

the girl in question im pretty sure laid a really big egg. Not sure if that is what's caused her behavior today.No other eggs were laid today either by the other girls. Not too worried about that yet.But with the girl in question ive noticed her poo is weird compared to normal.It looks like that milky film u get if u leave a glass of milk out.I was however able to feed her some food tonight n a bit of water.

They were last wormed in the last month.Another thing ive noticed is that my girls dont really eat their layer mash - this is a new bag but a different brand to what they previously ate.

Could she be not getting the proper nutrients and that's what is causing the issue? Or could it be something more sinister?Ive currently seperated her from the flock and she seems quite content...Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

It could be couple of diseases, but I would suspect Coccidiosis if the young birds have never had a preventative for it.
I would start with an Amprolium treatment in the water for 7 days and see if the problem clears up. One brand of Amprolium we have in the states is Corid. It comes in a liquid form or a powder. I don't know what brand name to recommend in Australia. Here's some information about Coccidiosis:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

After a treatment of Amprolium, I'd give vitamins and probiotics in the water for a few days, then worm them with a good wormer that contains Albendazole. Post what is available in your country and I'll try to help out.

One more thing. I noticed you said the bird wasn't eating or drinking. This makes remedying the problem more difficult as you will likely have to syringe feed the bird and encourage it to drink also. Moistening some feed with warm water, giving scrambled eggs are a few ways to get them to eat. I would syringe feed the Amprolium-water mixture to the bird also.

Cheers for that. Ill have a look and see what there is here as well as keeping an eye on her.
On the plus side she has had normal poop from the dinner she ate last night n im hoping thats A gd sign

Back
Top Bottom