Newbie on ducks eggs.Advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, Mar 30, 2011.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    THis is my first hatch of duck eggs. I just put them in today. There is khakies and call ducks. I was reading not to put them in a turner. That you have better hatch rate if you hand turn them. I also read not to turn for three days . Then after they are about 7 to 10 days old. To start misting the eggs. Is this information all correct? Or am i misunderstanding on this....Is there any advice on this. Please let me know. Very excited about this. I want to make sure i am doing things right. I have done lots of chickens egg, turkeys and pheasants. No ducks. Looking forward for any advice. Thanks for reading.

2. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Yikes, I haven't heard most of that!! I'm hatching duck eggs for the first time also, and it's actually my first time hatching anything. Mine are on day 11. I initially set 10 eggs, 5 are going strong and 5 didn't develop at all. I didn't turn them for the first 24 hours but I've been hand turning them 5 times a day. I wonder about misting them...I would think that if the humidity in the incubator is good you wouldn't have to but I don't know. I'd like to see what others have to say about it. [​IMG] I also added 14 chicken eggs when the ducks were on day 7 so they all have the same hatch date. Good luck with your duckies, how many eggs are you incubating?

3. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Also a newbie hatching duck eggs. There is lots of conflicting advice out there. Higher humidity with daily 15 minute "breaks"? Hatch like chickens?

I set 9 gray call & 9 Aussie Spotted duck eggs on the 25th. When I hatch chickens, I usually aim for humidity between 37-45%. On these guys I'm trying to keep the humidity between 42-50%. They are in a Brinsea cradle, so they have been turning since day 1. I have not been misting them. I candled last night and 16 of 18 are developing. Yeah! Lockdown is April 19th.

Want to hatch along?

4. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Sure. Keep me updated. I dont have mine in a egg turner. I have decided to hand them instead. I will be misting not untill after 7 days. After i check for fertility. The khakies were clear the last time i did it. I have one call duck egg in with my chicken eggs. They go on lock down tomorrow. But not that one egg. So i am putting it will the other ducks eggs. It is fertile and growing.

5. loprettaerin

loprettaerin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Lonedell, Missouri
    I have been hatching rouens ducks for last 2 months. I mist the eggs from day 7 to day 24 and turn until day 23 Only reason I have stopped turning a day earlie is because they seem to hatch at all differrent time some pip day 24 and hatch two day earlie some pip last day and hatch 3 days late go figure ducks are a bit more unpredictable but this is my first year hatching them so Im still learning also. I hand turn but not because I was told not too just dont have a turner in the duck incubator.

I was explained that water fowl need the misting once a day because mother water fowl goes into the pond or lake once a day to clean her self and then sits back on the eggs wet as can be so you are being more like mom when you mist. Who know it has been working for me so I cont to do it.

6. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks Loprettaerin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by