newbie on quail! what to do what to do LOL

sarabeth

Songster
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Mammoth Spring, AR
Well.... I just put 70 quail eggs and 5 bantam cochin eggs in the incubator tonight! LOL Guess it's go big or go home (even on a first time setting quail eggs) Now I have to figure out how to build a brooder and a quail hutch in 14-18 days. Hmmmmm....... Did anyone else put any eggs in the incubator today? I may need some help I haven't ever had quail before!
ep.gif

You know they each have different incubation periods? On the brooder and hutch, there are plenty of pics in the forum, all you have to do is do an advanced search.
Keep us posted on how things turn out.
James

I have read the hat it takes anywhere from 15 to 18 days on quail. I am gonna put the banty eggs in a carton and rig something up to turn them while the quail hatch. My Bantu eggs aren't much bigger than my quail eggs. My husbands friend gave me the eggs and whatever hatches I will half with him.

I copied and pasted this Incubation Chart from Sally Sunshines article on hatching eggs. While you haven't said which species of quail eggs you have, I am assuming they are coturnix. As you can see, the incubation period is different for chicken and coturnix. You will still have your bantams eggs in the incubator when the quail hatch. It is still possible for both to hatch, but you will put your bantam eggs at risk when you open the incubator to remove your quail (opening the incubator once to remove all quail). The longer the incubator is open, the greater the chances that the membrane will "shrink wrap" your bantam chicks inside the shell as the humidity is lost.

This can be a learning experience if you plan to do this again in the future... You would need to put the bantam eggs in first, then 4 days later, add the quail eggs. This way, both species will go into lock down at the same time as well as hatch at the same time.
James

Species

Incub. Period (days)

Temp (F.)¹

Do not turn
after
Chicken

18th day

Turkey

25th day
Duck

25th day