Newbie ordinance question

beansandgreens8

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
Anyone know if my ordinance states 4 hens allowed are we allowed to start bringing up their replacements before culling an old hen. So there aren't gaps in egg production? Basically are chicks/pullets counted separately from hens? Theres no specific references to chicks in ordinances just states allowed 4 hens no roosters in town...

^This. Ordinances are local. Your ordinance is different from mine and most anyone else's.

Also, the ordinance is most likely published online. Have you actually read it? That might provide the clarification you need.
It is online and I have read it it only states 4 hens no roosters nothing about chicks or pullets mentioned. That's why I'm questioning. I'm inJacksonville Illinois

I'd think? maybe? that if you are raising the chicks inside your house, it wouldn't count? but you'd have to raise them inside until point of lay? then cull all your old hens?

I'd think? maybe? that if you are raising the chicks inside your house, it wouldn't count? but you'd have to raise them inside until point of lay? then cull all your old hens?
This isn't anything from the ordinance, this is from my brain so don't trust it lol

If it were me, then I'd start a new set of birds. If they wanted to make a stink about it, then I'd be happy to educate them as to the gaps in their ordinance. "No, a hen is a female chicken at least one year old. These are chicks/pullets and there is nothing in the ordinance limiting them. If you would like some help revising it to be more practical and comprehensive, then I'd be happy to help."

FYI- I'm in the process of raising some new pullets to replace older birds right now. I've been preserving eggs this spring to carry me through any gap in production.

OK. This is what I was looking for:

Sec. 5-2. - Minimum distance from residences for enclosures prescribed; exceptions and restrictions.
(b) Notwithstanding said restrictions, a pen, coop, building or other enclosure used for the purpose of housing chickens may be erected in the rear lot of any single-family residential property, as long as said enclosure is at least thirty-five (35) feet from any occupied residence other than that of the owner and at least fifteen (15) feet from each side lot line and five (5) feet from the back lot line, with a maximum of four (4) chicken hens kept in said enclosure. Male chickens or roosters shall not be permitted under this subsection.

If they want to argue that they meant all female chickens, then tell them that they need to change the ordinance because it only specifies older ones right now and it will obviously negatively impact anyone trying to bring in new birds to replace older ones.

If it were me, then I'd start a new set of birds. If they wanted to make a stink about it, then I'd be happy to educate them as to the gaps in their ordinance. "No, a hen is a female chicken at least one year old. These are chicks/pullets and there is nothing in the ordinance limiting them. If you would like some help revising it to be more practical and comprehensive, then I'd be happy to help."

FYI- I'm in the process of raising some new pullets to replace older birds right now. I've been preserving eggs this spring to carry me through any gap in production.
Thanks I will contact our local farm groups to see what needs to happen to get clarification on the books and will definitely get back with you for some advice. These are my first chicks and just trying to do everything on the up and up and was let down by the generic municipal code. I'm raising mainly for eggs so I plan to be refreshing my flock every 2 years and unless I can start chicks while my other hens are still producing I don't see how I'd make it work.

Back
Top Bottom