1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie pasture question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by meganwf, May 20, 2008.

1. meganwf

meganwf Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    I'm new to this chicken business, just been working on it for about two years now and have raised meat and egg birds for the family. I don't know if I've been doing it on "pasture" as I've been doing it on my suburban acre of lawn. Well, between making the garden a lot bigger and having more animals, I'd like to extend the operation to the back acre that is currently a "meadow." As in, we don't have big lawn equipment and we have let it go! Small sassafras, lots of brambles, wildflowers etc. How do I turn it into something that chickens can forage through? Is this something I should ask the APPPA? Thanks!

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I've done this when we bought our farm, was a mess of brush . You will need to get a brush mower back there. Most large lawn services could probally help you with that, well worth the price.

3. meganwf

meganwf Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    That was a fast response!

Once the area is mowed down, will they be able to forage or will it be lots of sharp sticks poking up out of the ground -- I don't want to shish-ka-bob them before I shish-ka-bob them!

4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    They will make little "trails" through the tall brush. They like that sort of thing. BUT they may like it TOO much and not come back home!

Mow it down so you can keep an eye on them but if I had that much room, I'd leave a patch or two of the tall stuff for them to play hid -n- go chicken in.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The chickens don't really eat grass, but are pecking for seeds amongst it. So, as far as a crop to grown back there, you could always do a mixture of grass and then a small grain (like oats). It will keep them very entertained 'hunting' for food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by