Newbie Question :0)

kalestto

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Hi All!

I am extremely new to raising chickens. I presently have 4 RIR hens. they free range in my fenced yard most of the day, and free feed at night inside their coop in the garage. Works well for them so far...

In about a month or so I will be getting meaties. I have toyed with the idea of supplementing meal worms in their diet. I will be breeding them myself. So, to the question, on a daily basis, how many meal worms should each be getting?? I am not too worried about getting them to table in X amount of weeks, just whenever they are ready. I am just supplying my family, I figure I will do 20 chicks 2x's a year.

Thanks in advance,
Cassie

Well, I would imagine that if that would be entirely up to your discretion. The extra protein shouldn't be a problem. But the more you give them, the more they'll love you!

I am a newbie too. My chickens are in a (so far) snake proof pen most of the time. I let the dogs out of the yard and turn the chickens loose in the dogs yard after I close the gate. They are only out of their safe pen when I am home, so their diet is supplemented with wild greeens and bugs anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours a day. (more one weekends when I don't have to go to work) I give them dried mealworms as a treat. I don't really measure how much I give them. I try to keep it under 6 handsful. I don't pay much attention to who eats what either. Sometimes one of them will be more into the worms that the others or one will totally ignore them as chasing grasshoppers is more entertaining, not to mention juicier! They eat the dried meal worms from my hand, so it is also a bonding thing. They look pretty healthy to me though!
smile.png
Good luck! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope someone can give you the answer you need.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Hey there, glad you made it! You can feed your meaties extra protein, but usually people are pulling food, especially in the heat to keep them from croaking off and such. Meaties eat A LOT of food and they will have leg/ organ issues beyond a certain point. As long as the overall diet is balanced, you will be okay.
PS. If you are keeping them in your garage, make sure it is well ventilated.

Back
Top Bottom