newbie question about hatching

marier4him

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Hi,

My 5-year-old son and I are new to this. We didn't have the money for an incubator, so we just used an empty 10-gallon aquarium. I bought a digital thermometer/humidity gauge and put the eggs on meat roasting racks. I put water in the bottom under the racks and sprayed the glass regularly. We strove to keep the humidity around 60%. On day 18 we stopped turning the eggs and strove to keep the humidity between 80-85%. Of course, not having a real incubator, this was very labor intensive, but I'm at home a lot, so it worked out.

My question now is this: At 1:30 this morning (day 20), I check the temp and one chick had pecked a hold in the top (not the big end of the shell, but the top of the egg as it would be laying down flat) of the shell and had broken through the membrane. It is now 10:09 am and the chick has not made any additional progress. The chick is still moving and calling regularly. A second chick has punctured it's shell and membrane as well and others are rocking. We are only opening the lid to mist the walls as we can see everything clearly since it is an aquarium.

Thanks,

Marie

Well it might have pipped a little low but give it time to see what it is able to acomplish. I would wait 24 hours before trying to help but always go with my gut feeling if something doesn't seem right... Good Luck and congrads on the new chicks...

Thanks. The one that I posted the question about was not making any effort, so I peeled a little bit of egg and membrane back after seeing that it was not bloody. I also moistened the membrane a bit. Now, it is making a little more movements, so I am leaving it alone. The one that pipped this morning is out and moving around and has stood a few times. This is fun!

Back
Top Bottom