Newbie Question about Hen laying eggs outside the coop

erealpixie

Hatching
Apr 15, 2017
Hello Everyone, I am new to chickens and this group. We have 18 French Copper Maran hens and one of them has left the coop during the day and has been laying several eggs in the side of the horses hay bin. She sits on the eggs all day but abandons them at night. Do you think these eggs will hatch? Should we leave them alone (there are about 12 so far) or should we bring them in the house to use? We are new to this and not sure what to do. Any feedback is great! Thank you!

They won't hatch unless she sits on them full time day and night. I would throw them out and get her to lay in the nesting box.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I am new to chickens and this group. We have 18 French Copper Maran hens and one of them has left the coop during the day and has been laying several eggs in the side of the horses hay bin. She sits on the eggs all day but abandons them at night. Do you think these eggs will hatch? Should we leave them alone (there are about 12 so far) or should we bring them in the house to use? We are new to this and not sure what to do. Any feedback is great! Thank you!
Welcome to BYC!

More info might be needed.

If she truly has been sitting on them all day long for several days or more,
yes, I would dispose of them.
Otherwise they may be fine to eat,
just open them each in a separate dish and give a good look and sniff to see if they are 'bad'.

Do you want her to hatch some eggs for you?
Do you have a rooster?
Are your other girls laying in the nests in the coop?
Was this a 'hidden nest' so you just found all the eggs?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom