Newbie question about turkey and chicken tractors

nuke

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Just got my first day old poults today. 2 BB and 2 WB. Obviously I have time to figure this out, but is there a blackhead issue with tractoring turkeys and chickens in the same pasture? I need both species to work some ground behind my house. Is there a dormancy period that I should allow for the ground after the chickens have been moved before I place turkeys there? Or should I never place turkeys over ground where chickens have been tractored?

Last edited:
Just got my first day old poults today. 2 BB and 2 WB. Obviously I have time to figure this out, but is there a blackhead issue with tractoring turkeys and chickens in the same pasture? I need both species to work some ground behind my house. Is there a dormancy period that I should allow for the ground after the chickens have been moved before I place turkeys there? Or should I never place turkeys over ground where chickens have been tractored?
It depends on whether or not blackhead is a problem where you live. If it is a problem you do not want the turkeys in the same places as the chickens. The recommended time frame for not having turkeys on the same ground that chickens have been on is 3 years without chickens having been there.

Of course if blackhead is not a local problem then it doesn't matter. Contact your local county agriculture extension agent for information as to whether or not blackhead is a problem for you.

Back
Top Bottom