Limping turkey

famerzellman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi everyone!
After raising chickens for the past 8 years I decided to add some turkey poults. They are about 2 to 3 weeks old from good old tractor supply. Today I noticed one of my bronze breasted poult is limping and not sure the cause on how to fix it.
Food currently on is 30% Turkey crumble and fresh water daily.
I just added a 1/2 tab of b complex to a gallon of water and some nutritional yeast to their feed for some added nutrients. Is there anything else I’m missing? Should I set the leg? And how to go out about doing that?
Thanks,
Amanda

IMG_1339.jpeg

Hi everyone!
After raising chickens for the past 8 years I decided to add some turkey poults. They are about 2 to 3 weeks old from good old tractor supply. Today I noticed one of my bronze breasted poult is limping and not sure the cause on how to fix it.
Food currently on is 30% Turkey crumble and fresh water daily.
I just added a 1/2 tab of b complex to a gallon of water and some nutritional yeast to their feed for some added nutrients. Is there anything else I’m missing? Should I set the leg? And how to go out about doing that?
Thanks,
Amanda
It most likely is a slipped tendon. Most attempts at resolving the issue are not successful. The earlier you catch the problem the better the chances are. You have to manipulate the tendon back into the groove on the back of the hock and secure it there so that it cannot slip out again.

BTW, your poults are Broad Breasted Bronze. There is no such thing as a Bronze Breasted turkey.

It most likely is a slipped tendon. Most attempts at resolving the issue are not successful. The earlier you catch the problem the better the chances are. You have to manipulate the tendon back into the groove on the back of the hock and secure it there so that it cannot slip out again.

BTW, your poults are Broad Breasted Bronze. There is no such thing as a Bronze Breasted turkey.
Thanks I’ll try to doctor it up when I have some help. Will the turkey be able to live with a slipped tendon?
And thank you I might of gotten the wording wrong.

Thanks I’ll try to doctor it up when I have some help. Will the turkey be able to live with a slipped tendon?
And thank you I might of gotten the wording wrong.
Not a broad breasted turkey. It will become too heavy to live with only one usable leg.

They were developed to be processed for food by the time they are 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom