Newbie question here

Hull18

Chirping
Mar 17, 2018
THis is my first year raising chickens. that said I just found out that one of my birds that was supposed to be a pullet is not. I am wanting to raise chickens for the eggs. I guess I just really don't know how having a rooster in my bunch is going to affect things. any advise for this w

Well, I suggest that you check the laws in your area to see if roosters are allowed. Roosters provide a lot of benefits to the flock, they look out for the hens, they help the hens find nesting spots, they help the hens find food, and they keep the flock together. The rooster is the leader and it is always beneficial to have one in your flock if you can. How many hens do you have for him? Roosters can be aggressive, what is his breed? Also, they crow which could annoy you and your neighbors.

Roosters can me aggressive. One in 10 rooster will be nice. They are good for fertilization, but most of the time they are very aggressive.
I handle this guy all the time right now he is only 6-7weeks old right now and is a barneveolder.
20180327_150310.jpg
20180327_150334.jpg

You are not required to keep him, you know. Do you want your chickens to be pet-friendly to you? If so, lose the rooster. Do you have small children that live there, or visit? If so, lose the rooster.

Roosters can be kind of a crap shoot. You can raise five roosters in exactly the same way, and get five different results. I prefer not to handle, hand feed, baby or make pets out of them. I'd rather (as soon as I figure out who is a rooster) distance from them, teach them to respect me and my space, and keep his distance. Since I have been raising them this way, I have not had a problem rooster. From the threads I see on here about how roosters suddenly turn mean, they are usually the ones that are handled from the time they're chicks.

The ONLY reason a person NEEDS a rooster is to fertilize eggs. They can help keep watch and alert for predators, but a dominant hen can do that. Hens don't need roosters to show them where food is or where to lay their eggs. They do that just fine on their own.

You are the only one who can decide what to do with your surprise rooster. Keep him or not, it's your decision, and there is no wrong answer to this.

Roosters can me aggressive. One in 10 rooster will be nice. They are good for fertilization, but most of the time they are very aggressive.

I disagree, I do not have 10 rooster, I have 5 and none of them are aggressive so either i've won the lottery or that is incorrect. I have had way more than 10 roosters over the years and very few were aggressive. All but a few of the aggressive roos were leghorns, most breeds are very friendly such as RIRs, EEs, Silkies, BA, Buff Orpingtons, and so on. Also there is different kinds of "aggressive" roosters, there are roosters that may be aggressive towards kids, some are aggressive to adults, some are aggressive to strangers, some are aggressive to other pets, and some are aggressive to everything.

You are not required to keep him, you know. Do you want your chickens to be pet-friendly to you? If so, lose the rooster. Do you have small children that live there, or visit? If so, lose the rooster.

Roosters can be kind of a crap shoot. You can raise five roosters in exactly the same way, and get five different results. I prefer not to handle, hand feed, baby or make pets out of them. I'd rather (as soon as I figure out who is a rooster) distance from them, teach them to respect me and my space, and keep his distance. Since I have been raising them this way, I have not had a problem rooster. From the threads I see on here about how roosters suddenly turn mean, they are usually the ones that are handled from the time they're chicks.

The ONLY reason a person NEEDS a rooster is to fertilize eggs. They can help keep watch and alert for predators, but a dominant hen can do that. Hens don't need roosters to show them where food is or where to lay their eggs. They do that just fine on their own.

You are the only one who can decide what to do with your surprise rooster. Keep him or not, it's your decision, and there is no wrong answer to this.

x2 roosters are less aggressive if distance yourself from them. Also, I never said you NEED a rooster for any of that I said they were benefits. A rooster would take the stress of the alpha hen and give her the freedom to be a hen. Also, hens are, as far as i'm aware, incapable of making the air alarm call. I agree you do not NEED a rooster unless you wan't fertile eggs but they do provide benefits and do create a more natural environment for your hens.

I disagree, I do not have 10 rooster, I have 5 and none of them are aggressive so either i've won the lottery or that is incorrect. I have had way more than 10 roosters over the years and very few were aggressive. All but a few of the aggressive roos were leghorns, most breeds are very friendly such as RIRs, EEs, Silkies, BA, Buff Orpingtons, and so on. Also there is different kinds of "aggressive" roosters, there are roosters that may be aggressive towards kids, some are aggressive to adults, some are aggressive to strangers, some are aggressive to other pets, and some are aggressive to everything.
That's good that you have nice roosters

So Since I'm just wanting the eggs I may have to candle each egg to make sure I don't have fertilized eggs however I could hatch the fertilzed eggs that I come across. Am I right>

Back
Top Bottom