Newbie Question....How do I get my chicks used to no light??

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
So, my chicks haven't been using the light for warmth much anymore. The are around 4-5 weeks old. I have backed the light way off them. I tried to turn it off for a bit today and they were chirping like crazy!! I think they are used to the brightness. They are currently in the garage and it isn't dark during the day, but not bright light either. How do I get them used to the light not always being on? I was thinking of shutting it off during the day when it is warmer but I'm afraid that they are stressing out?? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I gradually moved the light quantities down... IE lights on all of the time, one overhead light on, small 40 watt bulb on, then small 15 watt light bulb (nightlight) then nothing (did this as they went from 0 weeks to 6 weeks). They will chirp when you turn the lights off especially if they arn't where they want to be when they go to bed. Remember they don't see well at night. Some people may say it's too soft but when I moved to the really small nightlight about an hour before "bed" I'd turn off all the lights except the nightlight and the 40 watt, then go down later and turn off the 40 watt. It felt more natural to me instead of just LIGHTS OUT! and let them cheep.

I just turn it off. If you let them con you now, what will you do when they want the car keys?
gig.gif

It really won't hurt them to turn it off at night. I also had to turn it on during the day because I don't have enough natural light in the garage.

I would offer advice but I don't have any. I just got my first chicks about a week before you did. I'm in CT too and just wanted to say "Hello" and "welcome".

Good luck with your chicks!

So, do you think turning it off during the day time when there is more natural light is a good "first step"? That was my original thought. I'm trying not to let them "con" me but they are SO cute I can't help it!
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks!! So, far it hasn't been too tough. I did have one chick with bloody poop, so I treated them all with Sulmet for Cocci (just in case). Other than that, they've all been doing well so far.
fl.gif

Good luck with your babies too!

Keeping it OFF dawn to dusk is a great first step. You might want to turn it on just before sunset the first vening, but low, if you have a dimmer, then turn it off when you go to bed (which is presumably after they do), so they can sleep in darkness. It'
ll get them on a natural cycle right away & they won't be napping so much in the day. If you do this the first night, and it stays in the 70s -80s in the garage, they should be fine without it by the next night. Ignore their little chirpy pleas, they'll be fine!

Quote:
Ok, if you say so....
wink.png
I do worry about them getting cold at night, but I really don't think they use the light all that much any more. I believe the garage will be in the 70's all week over night. The lowest temp I see in the forecast is 60 this weekend. But, I would think being inside, would be warmer than that. I think I will try to switch the light off tonight because it is only going down to 70, so I think it would be a good night to try it out. I always go down before bed and check on them, so if they are sleeping, like usual, I'll switch off the light....

well. We make the wattage of the light bulb lower first. then We start turning the light off in the day time at about 3 weeks. They're gonna chirp. But they gotta get used to it. We just turn it off in the daytime and turn it on at night. They can go outside at 3 weeks so it aint gonna hurt them
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom