Newbie Question: Non-Medicated Starter Feed and "slow" chick

Shannonwbl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Collierville (Memphis), TN
We have 7, 1 wk old chicks that I have been feeding Dumor starter feed. I thought it was medicated, but I think I was wrong. The chicks are vaccinated for Mareks, but not coccidiosis. Most seem to be fine and growing FAST, but one I am not so sure about. She (BR) doesn't move around as much as the others and when she sits she usually puts one leg out to the side and sometimes leans a bit. She seems to have a faster respiration - no panting though. I have checked her out and watched her and she is eating, drinking and seems to have a good range of motion in both legs and no perceptible soreness.

My question is two part:
First, should I switch to medicated feed? (Though we got 6 different breeds, they are all for eggs.)
Second, should I be worried about my little BR or just give her time. I am a horse person with NO chicken experience, but she just seems off to me. A more rapid respiration always makes me worry with my horses, but I realize we are at opposite ends of the animal kingdom here.

Welcome to the site!
From what I have read, you don't want to switch to medicated. The vaccination took care of it.
As for your BR, I wouldn't be worried at all. Many, many chicks will lean over to one side and stretch out their leg. It just means that they are relaxed, loving the warmth, and you are doing a good job!

Josie is correct...since you had them vaccinated for Marek's you don't want to switch them over to medicated feed since (for lack of better wording), it will basically cancel out the Marek's vacinated.

Just be patient with the little BR...and don't forget to relax, yourself!
wink.png

Welcome to BYC!

Dawn

The medicated feed is for cocci and not Marek's. Since you did not vaccinated for cocci then you should use medicated. The cocci lives in the dirt and the medicated feed will allow the chicks to build up their own natural resistance while protecting them.

Thank you all for replying. I sort of feel out of my element here and it is great to be able to bounce things off folks.

Seem to have two different opinions. Are there different kinds of medicated feed? One for Marek's and one for cocci?

There isn't any mediated feed for Marek's. It's was a smart choice to vaccinate for it. The medicated feed you see is for cocci only.

Back
Top Bottom