newbie question -what do you do when chickens never learned chicken behavior?

Well it took me a long time to get them just to scratch at the ground but I put out some cracked corn to get them to do that and I've been feeding them the regular feed plus layer pellets. I tried a frozen corn on the cob hanging on a string they totally ignored it. I have put some herb plants around the run. They don't seem to be curious.

We started out with some health issues, coccidia, breathing problems, and now sour crop. Getting them healthy is what I'm working on now. And I've been going in and sitting quietly with them so they'll get used to me.

I put some mealworms out and they seemed to enjoy them. I'm seeing some progress. Today I sat out with them and had a couple come close enough to touch but of course they would have scattered if I had tried. One actually pecked my toe..Progress!

Here is what I've put in the run. Logs so they will jump up and get used to getting off the ground. I added an unbreakable mirror in front of the herbs. That seems to be a big hit with them. The ladder to the coop was so steep I couldn't get them to go up so I raised the end and added steps. They do go up on their own now. I have regular feed out all the time, and I put out 2 cups of add layer pellets twice a day (they eat that up real quick), I also have cracked corn and crushed egg shells on the ground. Any suggestions? Am I doing the feed right?

Attachments

• run1.jpg
    run1.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 5
  • run2.jpg
    run2.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 5
  • run3.jpg
    run3.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I put some mealworms out and they seemed to enjoy them. I'm seeing some progress. Today I sat out with them and had a couple come close enough to touch but of course they would have scattered if I had tried. One actually pecked my toe..Progress!

Here is what I've put in the run. Logs so they will jump up and get used to getting off the ground. I added an unbreakable mirror in front of the herbs. That seems to be a big hit with them. The ladder to the coop was so steep I couldn't get them to go up so I raised the end and added steps. They do go up on their own now. I have regular feed out all the time, and I put out 2 cups of add layer pellets twice a day (they eat that up real quick), I also have cracked corn and crushed egg shells on the ground. Any suggestions? Am I doing the feed right?

Good job on the ramp, looks much more usable now! ANd nice to hear that you're making progress with them coming closer to you.

For the feed, I keep a feeder available during the day at all times... some days they eat more, some days they eat less. Having a feeder is also better for me because it reduces the amount of pellets on the ground, which can attract rodents. Since you mentioned they're eating fast they might be needing more than you're feeding them. The corn is a treat and higher in fat, so don't overfeed it.

For the calcium component (I use oyster shell) I just keep a small dish filled and they take what they need from it.

Thanks, Should I stop the regular feed and give them layer pellets only?
I had oyster shells out, thinking grit, but read one of BYC's articles that said it wasn't grit. I wasn't thinking in terms of calcium, so I'll put it back out.

Thanks, Should I stop the regular feed and give them layer pellets only?
I had oyster shells out, thinking grit, but read one of BYC's articles that said it wasn't grit. I wasn't thinking in terms of calcium, so I'll put it back out.

Oh I totally missed that you had two feeds. What is the "regular" feed in comparison to the layer?

Yes oyster shell is for calcium. Some folks use eggshell instead.

Grit for digestion is simply rocks, usually granite, due to the hardness and sharp edges.

Have they started laying? If not, I'd stick with the grower/finisher until most of them start laying. At that point you can stick with the grower if you like it, or switch entirely to layer, or do half and half - up to you.

Back
Top Bottom