Newbie question - Why do chickens go inside the coop at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicky85254, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Is it because they don't see well at night? Maybe because it's just instinct? I'm just curious.

I just ordered an automatic door for our ladies....they are 7ish week old banty ladies and have been kept inside their 10X12 hen house until now. I just want to make sure that when the light sensing device is set to close, they are all inside! How dark should it be before the door closes?

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yes...they cannot see at night and instinctively know that their coop is the safest place to be. So they will usually head to the coop as the sun starts to set. By sundown, they should all be inside the coop. Occasionally I'll have one that stays out...but it's usually the silver spangled hamburg and she's very flighty...probably couldn't find the coop!! [​IMG]

If you go out later and there is someone who didn't make it in, they'll likely be right by the door and you can just reach down and pick them up.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I just picked up some adult girls last weekend to add to my flock, and 2 of them chose not to go at all last night! Apparently I don't count so well... because I didn't notice when I closed up the others. Well they were out squaking to get in this morning! How do I teach this girls what's "normal"?!

4. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I have 5 turkens, 1 old english, and 12 austrolops that sleep in the trees. I used to get them down every evening, but they would just go higher. My others will go in the coops like good chickies, but those few won't budge. [​IMG]

5. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I was a completely bad chicken mommy last night, I had closed the door to the coop earlier in the day, and forgot to open it later in the afternoon.

I took the dog out about 6:30pm and the girls were "crying" to get in the coop!! All sitting on the little porch by the door!! Bad Mommy!!!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Newbie question - Why do chickens go inside the coop at night?

Because they don't want to cross the road.

[​IMG] sorry couldn't help myself.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I find it best to close them in the coop for a week so they know that it home. I have had really good luck with doing it like that.

8. clawmute

clawmute Out Of The Brooder

For the first few nights after moving my teenaged chicks to the hen house from their juvenile quarters I actually put them in one at a time when they all hunkered together at sundown. After that they all went in by themselves and I would close the sliding door to the outside. One evening I actually placed each of them up on their roosting bars so they would "get it" and not roost on the floor.

It's all automatic now. As for egg laying I'm not going to be able to demonstrate for them.

9. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Maybe it's because my girls are still new to their home, but those ding dongs don't go outside all day despite their door being open. The moment I get home they're all like - ohh it's the lady that feeds us treats, it's cool to go out now. Unfortunately I get home late so they only get an hour or two of outside time. Dummies. [​IMG]

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] See - they're outside all day, they run in five minutes before you get home and pretend they're bored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by