Newbie question - Why do chickens go inside the coop at night?

Mine all have different ideas. Charlotte, Silkie Fancy Pants, Helena, Spikette, Show Off, Turk, Red, and Babette the duck who thinks she's a chicken are all inside before dark. Snowball, Little Foots, Luau, and Nugget, like to roost on the chain link kennel top bar. Fuzzy Butt, Buffy, Woo, Butterscotch, Sparkle and LaRoo like to roost in the big Mulberry tree. Blue, Penny, the Sisters, Flat Top, Goldie, Splash Down, and Tux like to roost on anything on the porch they can get on. Louie likes to roost on the top door of the double door to the coop. If it's not left open he roosts on top of the coop. The ducks do whatever the heck they want and the quail are in a pen.

Last edited:
wildsky....
lau.gif

I was thinking "to get to the other side"...not helpful!!! Couldn't help myself either...

Chicky85254

Interesting question!!!! (and fun, too!
smile.png
)

I have chickens and a bunch of exotic birds -- seems to be a natural instinct for chickens and parrots to get to their "safe" place as the light levels decrease because they don't have much by way of night vision-- and the coop is their safe place...and the higher the better -

I think some of the breeds prefer to perch in trees -- bad decision if there are owls around... and a fall in the middle of the night could be dangerous...

Back
Top Bottom