newbie question

young budgie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
leinster,co laois
so far i have only hatched one golf dutch bantam, im just wonder because there so small what kind of feed i should give them first, is chick starter ok for them,
and also my heat lamp, how do i know if i have it at the right height as in is it too cold or too warm, i know stupid questions but im sure someone can help,and there is way to much here to search through

temp should be around 95 degrees for the first week, and theoretically it should be 5 degrees less every week. you will be able to tell by behavior as well... if the chick is peeping incessantly and something seem to be wrong, lower the heat lamp and see if the chick calms down, if not, try something else...

chick starter should be alright for bantam chicks. if the chicks seem to be having a hard time with the starter, you can mix it with water to make a wet mash. they will probably find that delicious and a little easier to eat!

I use a thermometer in my brooder so I can be sure the temp is about right. I have my light hung with an adjustable tie down strap so its easy to raise and lower the light. I also use a big enough brooder that the chicks can adjust their position to keep the temperature right (very helpful if its a cold spring morning, but getting much warmer later on and I have to work). Good luck, and there is no such thing as a stupid question!

thank you for the replys,truthfully i dont know what id do without this forum, even do the chick is 2 days old and the other 16 eggs aint hatched im holding out for another day or 2, thanks for the tips ill be sure to do excactly what you all said

Back
Top Bottom