Newbie Question?

arbucklemurphy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Arbuckle, CA
Ok. so i have a couple questions. This is my first hatch of quail up to now I just had bantam chickens. My cotounix quail are 2 weeks old and are feathering fast but a couple are half the size of the others. Is this normal? I raise bantam modern game and every once in a great while I will get one that is on the small side but never had this big of a difference. They are eating and drinking and seem healthy just like the others. Also I have one that only opens one eye. The eye is clear and doesn't look infected or anything and I can open the eye lid easily has anyone ever had this happen before? Also at what age do they not need a heat lamp anymore and are safe to put outside in the cage? Right now they are in a brooder box in my kitchen.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

B. Saffles Farms

Mr. Yappy Chickenizer
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Madisonville, TN
i put my birds outside with no heat as soon as they are fully feathered. As long as the temps arent down in the 20s. As far as the size, its nothing to worry about if they are eating and drinking fine. Not sure about the eye its probaly nothing as long as it doesnt look infected.

arbucklemurphy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Arbuckle, CA
About what age will they be fully feathered? You know my husband isn't happy about them being in the kitchen, he keeps asking me how long and I'm really not sure. My chickens it 4 weeks or more but since these grow so quickly I wasn't sure??

Thanks

Top Bottom