Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by animalover, Aug 20, 2010.

1. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Hello everyone. Last week I got my first chickens (yay) - 3 Blue Orps around 4 months old. Two days ago I got a 14 mo old EE. I had told myself 4 was the limit. Well, my vet has offered me a little Silkie hen, age unknown. I'm tempted to take her, but she is a lot smaller than the others. I'm not experienced enough to know if she would fit in well. What do you all think?

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Introduce her slowly with a see thru barrier like a piece of wire for several days then remove the wire. I know someone who just puts the new one in at night in the am they just look at her like who are you again. Of course you know you have to keep her separate for at least 14 days to be sure she isn't sick and won't infect the others

3. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have added new chickens/moved chickens to different coops a lot. I have found that it is actually VERY rare that there will be a big issue. There is certainly scuffling and fighting for a few days, but they generally settle in and find their place in the pecking order.

Having said that, when it goes wrong, it can go downhill FAST so keep an eye on them for the first couple of days. If there is any blood, remove the bloody one immediately or she will likely be killed. It really has only happened once to me (and I got the hen out before any real damage), but I always think people should be aware that it CAN happen.

Also, it is very sound advice to quarantine your new hen!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by