Newbie question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rmstuck, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Rmstuck

Rmstuck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Ames,IA
    Do you think letting eggs sit in the nesting boxes for a little while helps encourage other chickens to lay or should I just grab them right away while the eggs are still warm? All my birds are old enough to lay but some of them seem to not lay consistently yet. I am just trying to figure these crazy birds out.:D

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I gather several times a day since we're able to. I prefer not to have them there too long...they sometimes get stepped on and end up with a "dent"...they also seem to get poopier if they're in there a long time. If you want to encourage the others, you can gather the real ones and stick in a couple of fake eggs or even golf balls. With even one laying, the others will learn from her and get the idea...the fake eggs are a good reinforcement, too.

3. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have recently used fake wooden eggs. Not only does it help give them the idea, I have witnessed mine peck on the wooden egg before. I like that they get the idea of, "Hey, this brown oval thing is hard, and I get no reward from pecking on it.[​IMG] " [​IMG]

Wade

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by