Newbie question....

Peaguy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
May,Texas
Hi all, perhaps a silly question, perhaps not, but in the great debate that has been running through my feeble brain I came across this question when trying to make a decision on what breeds I really want to try out/ play with. A little background, I am in May, Texas just outside of Brownwood/home to Howard Payne University not that that matters much but might be a " oh I know where that is" point for some folks? Maybe not as all of the above are really rahther small... Anyway, In trying to put together an order, I cannot quite make up my mind but have narrowed it down to about 20 chicks probably mixed between three breeds Buff Orps Black Australorps and Amercaunas, my question is other than for flock safety and every damsel needs a knight in shining armour, (yea right!) When choosing a roo for a mixed flock such as I mentioned which one should I consider? I am assuming that to a roo it goes something like this, If it looks like a pullet/acts like a pullet/ lays eggs, it must be a pullet thus I am assuming that there is a very real probability that any future babies stand a good chance of being "mutts". How concerned should I be by this and is there an advantage/disadvantage - stronger/weaker breed factoras I need to consider when ordering a roo? I have an old coop and run that will be getting refurbished before the final decision is made and order placed, roof leaks and fencing has been crumpled in over the years here and ther, not surprising as it sits next to a 100 year old barn that is about ready to crumble to the ground any day.I also plan to free range the flock some. I am primarily after eggs for ourselves and possibly to sale/ share with neighbors friends etc. Wordy I know but any advice appreciated, or am I just flat outta my mind? Thanks in advance! Robert

A roo in any of those three would be good. They are roughly the same size and from what I have heard, they are of close relation. He will mate with all the hens, so you will end up with muts unless you get different roos and separate them all according to breed. That is a hassle for most. If eggs is what you are after then it doesnt matter what breed the roo is. If you dont care about chicks and fertile eggs then you dont need a roo at all. But you then run the risk of a hen taking his place and she will stop laying. It is up to you. These are just my thoughts and I am sure that others will post with theirs. Good luck to you.
Kristyne

I totally agree with everything Kristyne had to say. In fact, you could get any breed of roo you want. Like she said, unless you have pens and separate hens & roos according to breed for breeding purposes any chicks you have will be mutts anyway. Except, of course, if you pick one of the breeds you have in hens then they would be purebred. But if you don't really care about any of that then get whatever strikes your fancy.

Oh, i know where that's at. Just went on a Sunday drive through there the other day...

Any of them roos will do. Don't be suprised if you get one of each mixed in with your "pullets". You really don't have to let them hatch any out. With just one roo, if are concerned about purebreds, you can use trap nests to collect the eggs from the appropriate hens and just hatch those. That being said, those mutts are chickens too and still lay eggs.

One of our most endearing hens is a Silver Laced Wyandotte / Rhode Island Red cross. Don't tell her she's a mutt...

000_0135.jpg

Mum's the word on my end! She's a beautiful mutt/ uhm eer cross rather! I'm not after fertilized eggs nor babies at this time, just figured a roo would be nice to have around with a bunch of girls, never know might get surprise babies or he may just turn out to be the protection they'll need. Course I will be providing the best predator control I can but we have a bit of all kinds so any help I can get will be welcomed. Even if that means just keeping the roadrunners at bay?
wink.png
Thank you all!I was hoping I was on the right track with my thunking.

Back
Top Bottom