newbie questions about free range

I work during the day and only let the chickens out to free range when I'm home. I let them out at sunrise to free range but do not give them any food when outside the coop. Chickens wake up HUNGRY. So after they free range for an hour or two every morning, they line up to get back in the coop to get their food.

If I gave them food outside the coop in the morning while they're free ranging, I'd have a hard time getting them back in.

In the evening I let them out when I get home and they go in on their own at sunset.

So, I very rarely have to herd chickens. but when I do, I use 2 long pieces of bamboo that I hold out to my left and right sides to gently coral them in if the food bribes aren't working. One benefit of my coop location is that it is in the corner of my fenced yard, which makes it a lot easier to herd them into the coop as opposed to having it in the middle of the lot.

I agree with the other poster on making the run at lest 10 s.f./bird, if you can afford it make it even bigger because you just might get addicted and want more chickens, and/or you will love the ones you have so much that you would like to see them with more space.

I have a covered "secure run". I put it in quotations because a determined large animal could probably break in (dog, fox, MAYBE a raccoon). I have 1/2" hardware cloth on all sides, corrugated roof, and a 1/2" hardware cloth skirt around the perimeter that is covered in large paver stones. I have not had a break-in and do not lock them in the coop at night. Raccoons do come around on occasion and when they do my dogs let me know about it and I let them out to chase them away. Most recommend locking the chickens in the coop at night because it is nearly impossible to make a 100% secure run, so it is a risk you should think about.

Thank you all! You are all so helpful!

I called the local feed store today and was given choices of breeds for the pick-up in a few weeks. We're really going to do this! I may be more excited than the kids.... and think of all the money that I will save on organic/fancy eggs!!!!!

Quote:
gig.gif
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but trust me, you won't be saving money with just a few hens. I get about 2 1/2 dozen eggs from my five girls each week right now, and figure that at least for the first YEAR, we're paying about $20 a dozen...LOL. BUT, I come out far ahead in therapy costs; chicken therapy is best!!
lau.gif

I also am new with chickens. we free range. Chickens will fly up on or over a fence. They get everywhere they can fit. The flock can be near you and be gone 2 minutes later only to reappear just as quickly. I keep a light on in my coop,so my chickens know where to return. Close up your coop after they go in and you do your count, or you might find a opposum in your coop. YES possums kill chickens. neighbors dogs are big enemies. You know those people who let there dogs out and leave for work. Those dogs pack up and mutilate your flock and doesn't take long. Igot on this site to maybe learn better first aid rather than the shot gun method. I have 1 rhode island rooster , 11 hens. I started with 25 chickens.

you sound exactly like me... We'v been keeping for years but are about to launch into the unknown world of free ranging. Chickens naturaly go back to their houses at dusk. I'd definitley suggest getting a tough New England bred breed like Barred rocks or rhodies or NH reds etc if possible. I gotta go or i would say more. good luck.

I have a secure, wire -covered large run for my hens to keep the hawks and stray dogs out. I keep feed/water in the coop, but let my hens out about 1 1/2 hours before sunset to graze in my fenced 1/2 acre yard. Once they know where they are supposed to sleep ( I waited one month before letting them out.), they will go back to roost inside the coop when it gets dark. You can then close the coop to keep critters from hurting them. I also lure them back in with pieces of bread or scratch if I need them to go in sooner.
I often check for eggs and do coop maintainence when they are out. They have a lot of fun eating bugs and seeds and now run to me for "treats" when they see me.

My girls stay out in my fenced in yard all day while we are at work. They automatically go to their coop at sundown and the new babies follow suit. You can get them started by turning on a light in the coop b/f the sunset they will go for the light.

Chickens return to the coop at night on their own. So, if you were to let them out to free-range when you returned from work, they would be roosting in their coop by nightfall. That would be relatively easy...
I would also get good free-ranging breeds. Good luck!

My chickens would go back in their coop for treats, but now that does not work. I started to let my chicken friends out a few hours before dark. I have major hawk and dog problems so I have to stand by my chickens or something will try to eat them. I would lock your chickens up at night just to be safe, better safe then sorry. Beware of hawks while they are free ranging, you might think that you don't have any around until its too late, I learned this lesson after a Coopers hawk killed a silkie of mine. Best of luck!

If you can keep a rooster where you are, I'd strongly suggest you get one (try to pick a breed that's known for friendly roosters). A rooster will help alert a free ranging flock to predators, plus if you need to move the flock back into the run it's easier just to herd the rooster and the rest of the hens will follow him. That's the way it worked with my flock until we had to rehome our little roo (he was illegal where we live). Now it's much harder for me to pen the flock since there's no natural leader.

Back
Top Bottom