newbie questions on broody hen and eggs

JLC

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
I have a broody hen, which is a Buff Orpington, This wasn't the case until I started leaving eggs (11 total) over three days. I marked them so I could use the fresh ones. I did some reading and saw that I could have used golf balls but didn't find out until after.
Now one has sitting on them non stop and making the weird noise when I get close. I only came close 1 time and have left her alone. So I have 2 questions.

1.The temperatures were down to a low of 30 -34 degrees the 3 days it took me to accumulate them from the others. Are they still OK or were the temps to low that they are no good ?

2. If the temps made them unsuitable for hatching, what temperature should they be kept at and where do I store the "new" ones prior to putting them in her box ?

I thought that if I got 11-12 new eggs that I would watch her and when she came off to eat to hurry up and switch them or better yet make the switch late at night. I thought though that taking 11 out from under her and replacing with the new ones may disturb her to much and she would stop sitting on them.

Not sure what to do so I need help.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

3KillerBs, Thank you so much for the article, A lot of great info. I read it hoping to find the answers to my questions but unless I am having a senior moment my questions were not answered.​

3KillerBs, Thank you so much for the article, A lot of great info. I read it hoping to find the answers to my questions but unless I am having a senior moment my questions were not answered.​

People have had broodies hatch in the winter.

I don't have that experience, but what I have read suggests giving her fewer eggs than you would in the summer. :)

3KillerBs, Thank you for your response. I figured that the hen would keep the eggs warm in the winter but my question is that the eggs that were in the nesting bo went three days before she started to sit on them and I was worried about if the cold affected them being no hen was on them as well as my other question.​

Again, thank you and if someone else here could be of assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom