Newbie questions

@Hulk4583 I can't seem to see the attachment either on my PC, sorry. I don't recall the percent in what I am using. It is an all organic, dedicated chick starter from a local company that was recommeneded by several stores in my area dedicated to poultry. They are definitely thriving on it for me.

This work? Is this what chicks eat?

Attachments

• 20180315_135615.jpg
    20180315_135615.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 8
115 is way too hot for the chicks. If they can't get away from that, they will die. Maybe if you posted pics of your coop - inside and out - we could give suggestions. I agree that a heat plate or Mama Heating Pad brooder might be a better option for you. Easter eggers and Barred Rocks are both nice breeds. You might get some pretty eggs out of those EEs.

Hi that is the temp directly under the heat lamp. They can move around the I side of the coop. I can get pictures later

Here they are I have the heat lamp as high as it will go. And the chicks can definitely move away from the lamp where its not hot during the day. I do not have the straw in yet I will put that in tonight

Attachments

• 20180315_163103.jpg
    20180315_163103.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20180315_163113.jpg
    20180315_163113.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 7
Given the size of your coop, I really think they'd be better off with a heat plate or heating pad brooder. It really doesn't look like there is enough space for them to get far enough away from the heat. Either that or get a lower watt bulb. What is the size of the bulb you have in there now?

18% protein is fine -- I use it for my chicks. However, get the highest you can.
115 is definitely too hot, even if they can get away. How high is the wattage on your lamp? Try lowering it, and see what it is. Also, you could add some more insulation or keep it in a building such as a garage or shed to help regulate the temperature.
Remember that you don't have to have the chicks inside of the coop when they're young. In fact, I personally think it's better to have a separate brooder when they're young. You can set up another brooder and move them when they get older.
Here's an article that I made, and you can look for other articles too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-chicks-all-you-need-to-know.73592/
Also, I love Easter Eggers and Barred Rocks. They're both great breeds!
Have fun and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom