newbie questions!

Clarabarabelle

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Massachusetts
alrighty i've wanted a a couple of chickens for a couple years now but i live in a suburb outside of boston so i didnt think i could have one. I literally dont know anything and im probably going to sound like aan idiot but i have questions about coops! What happens to them in the winter. Do they do okay in the cold or does it need to be heated some way? also what is the best coop for a person in a suburb with not a ton of room or cash for 2 chicken. THanks for lookin and you guys are great!

Clara

I'm not sure about the cold as I've only had chickens since this spring and I live in the south anyway so cold is not a problem. You should probably first find out if you can have chickens since you WILL love them and it'll suck if you are told to get rid of them. For 2 chickens you won't need alot of room. A rabit hutch turned into a chicken house should be good enough.

And NO you don't sound like an idiot!
hugs.gif

frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!

I agree that you should find out what the laws and restrictions are or at least talk with your immediate neighbors to see if they object. If they do, they will report you and you'll have to rehome your babies. Not a good thing.

If all is well and you decide to go ahead, then look around for cold hardy breeds with small combs and feathers on their legs and feet to prevent frostbite. With cold hardy birds in a solid draft-free coop you shouldn't need supplimental heat in the winter. However, you might want to think about 3-4 birds that can snuggle together on very cold nights and build enough body heat to keep each other warm. Yes, a rabbit hutch would do nicely or even a very large dog house. Since nights are long in the winter, it should have a window (probably plexiglass) and a solid door to lock them up, but it also must have good ventilation so ammonia does not build up and make them sick. But don't forget room for a nest box and a roost as well as feed. The water you can put outside but will need to be heated in the winter so it doesn't freeze.

Just some things to think about.

Yeah, talk with your neighbors first and figure out the rules. It would suck to raise them up just to find out that you can't have them and get a fine or something.

As for winter, it gets into the teens here sometimes and all my birds sleep outside of a coop but inside of a run. For just two birds, a large doghouse would work inside of a kennel. What ever you get or decide to make, be sure it is predator proof.

I can answer this one. I live in NJ and we can get some snowstorms. First you will need a warming lamp. I used a light bulb I forget what watt bulb but it sorta worked and I put it in the chicken house part of the coop. Make sure you keep your chickens away from cold drafts. They do not like windy coldness. I wraped my coop with heavy duty landscaping plastic to keep the heat in. You coulds use a tarp to block the wind. Other then that just check on them daily.

Black sexlinks and Australorps are a superior breed for year round!They pump out large brown eggs every 18ish hours,no matter the weather.Were in Boston ya at?I could sell ya acouple if your interested?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom