Newbie Questions

sugar pants

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
WV
Hi all. I've been reading the forums for a few months, but have a few questions.

First off, my local TSC is OUT of chick starter feed....and they aren't sure when they are getting more.
hmm.png
Does anyone have a decent online supplier that hasn't killed them on shipping? I did give them a bit of yogurt for a treat, but they haven't had grit yet, so I don't want to give them anything else. If worse comes to worse, what can I feed them. I know oatmeal is another good treat...but what will work as actual FOOD until I can find more chick starter? Also, is there special grit for baby chicks, or will any chicken grit work?

Also, is there any way to tell if the chicks are getting enough water? We had the traditional water thing (with the jar on top) and no matter how I elevated or surrounded it with paper towels, they managed to muck it up. Of course, they are getting real feathers now and think they are quite the big girls, and able to fly up on top of anything (flinging litter and feathers and dust as they do so). Anyway, I'm experimenting with the water bottle thing. The only one I got is heated (not necessary now, but will be in the winter...I figured why not).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18379

They seemed to figure it out quickly and I do see them drinking from it. Before I worried that they weren't getting enough clean water because it was ALWAYS nasty, not I worry that maybe they just can't get enough out! Any way to tell? They seem healthy and happy.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Food - Oatmeal (cooked will probably work better until they get grit), eggs,

Grit - Small grit is what you want. I use a combination of parakeet grit, sand from the back yard and grantite grit.

I'm not sure what dehydration signs are. Cool heated waterer though.

As far as them mucking up the water no matter what you do, you could possibly take a Cool whip lid or other plastic lid of some sort and cut it to fit the top (with a little bit of overlap) of the surface area of the waterer and cut out a tiny section where they will be "allowed" to drink out of.

Possibly mark the sides of that section with black marker so it's more obvious to them where it is. That may help eliminate alot of the ickiness they like to try and put in there.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom