Newbie Questions

crystal195655

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Glenoma, WA
We will be getting our chicks in a few weeks....I have already purchased "Chick Starter"...when can they start eating things like yogurt, oatmeal etc? I have seen several people talk abaout feeding oatmeal....is that COOKED oatmeal? as in leftovers?

welcome-byc.gif

You'll get lots of opinions on when it's okay to start treats. I start offering things like plain yogurt, small mealworms, and yes, cooked oatmeal around two weeks old. Why? Because I know when they are being raised by one of my broody hens she's feeing them whatever she happens to find from a few days old.

First off
welcome-byc.gif

I agree with the above poster above me that she is right on. However in addition to what was said keep in mind that 2 week old anything has a 2 week old tummy also. The stomach is just developing and IMHO I would give them only bland items like rice, finely chopped hard boiled eggs, yogurts, scrambled eggs, oatmeal. I also would suggest that a treat is a treat and not a meal unless you prepare it as a meal. Small portions is the key.

welcomeSun.gif
WelcomeToBYC.gif

I always start a treat with my baby chicks with an earth warm or a meal worm around 3-4 weeks. And since your a newbie good luck with your babies remember to keep them warm and safe.
frow.gif

What the others said.

If you give it, it should be in small measure as a treat only. They'll love it as being something different. That's what treats are.

Older/larger birds can absorb it more readily as part of their diet. You just don't want to give too much by way of treat to birds of any age that will take away from the diet they need at that stage of their lives. Young birds are fun, and occasional treats don't hurt, but shouldn't displace their regular ration. It's a critical stage for their long-term health and productivity.

Last edited:
It is also my recollection that little chicks in their first few days/weeks can digest the chick starter crumble without access to grit, but if you are giving treats, they may need grit in order to break it down. I doubt yogurt falls into this category, but when I gave my little chicks yogurt they just walked in it and tracked it all over the place. I mix a few tablespoons of plain yogurt with live cultures in a morning warm mash I give to my laying chickens, but didn't have much luck with it with little chicks.

I agree with everyone else..wait a couple weeks...if you want to give them something 'different', mix their starter with
some water and make it into a mush...they will LOVE it! Even full grown chickens love this!

Good luck and come back and post some pics of the babies!

Back
Top Bottom