Newbie scared of sex link chick!

towniefarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Hello out there, I am new at the BYC forum and have a question regarding one of my new babies. She is a BSL and three weeks old. I had never heard of sex links and was hoping for an Astralorp to go with my Bard Rock and RIR. I was told not to worry, definitely female, as male sex links have a white dot on head. I took her home and read everything I could find on sex links. My concern is her comb. Its the same color as the combs on the other two, but is quite a bit larger. Does this mean that it's a roo? I have tried to get a photo, but they won't hold still and my camera is an older one. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

jeslewmazer

Songster
Nov 24, 2009
Mississippi
If you are sure it is a BSL then it will be female it it doesn't have a dot....only males have the dot. I would say give it a little while....if the comb continues to grow and become more red....then I would guess that it is a male but not a BSL, but some other black breed.
wink.png

PandoraTaylor

RT Poultry n Things
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Alaska
some sexlinks have very large combs. I have several with big combs. I know they are not roos, as I have seen them lay eggs.

towniefarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Thank you for the positive replies! I should have stated why I am afraid of roos. When I told one of my neighbors about my little backyard flock he was....horrified! Exact words were, "That's how people get bird flu!" I don't think he would appreciate a crowing roo at 5am, although it is not illegal in our town.
big_smile.png

HorseFeathers

Frazzled
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Southern Maine
Our red sexlink hen (who just passed away
sad.png
) had a huge comb as a chick... if she hadn't been a sexlink we would have labeled her a definite rooster. She was a great little layer and we loved her to pieces. Good luck with your girl!

jeslewmazer

Songster
Nov 24, 2009
Mississippi
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I could not help it. Ask them if they feed wild birds (including humming birds)....would that be how people get bird flu too.....
lau.gif

I would hate it though if they were to give you as much trouble as some on here. I bet if you if they ever ate the fresh eggs they might change their minds on how horrible it is.

Top Bottom