Newbie seems to be the word

kbrchick

Hatching
Jan 9, 2017
Had my babes sonce March 16. Love the eggs and the solitude they bring when I feed them Romaine lettuce. I do have a ?. Got a broody hen, how long will they sit before getting food or water? Thank you, excited to be here.

Broody hens will normally get off the nest once a day to eat, drink, poo and do a bit of grooming. If you have a hen that will not voluntarily leave the nest, you may need to move her off the nest so she does what she needs to each day.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

If she doesn't come out for food and water, take some to her. They can lose a lot of weight when the broodiness kicks in.

G’Day from down under kbrchick
frow.gif
Welcome!

I agree with the advice you have received so far in that a broody hen should take a break once or twice a day to stretch her legs, have something to eat and drink and drop a nasty broody poop
sickbyc.gif

However, I do have one broody who did not get that memo and if I let her she would sit for days without moving. With her, I ensure I lift her off the nest in the morning and afternoon. She does what she has to and then happily scurries back to her eggs.

On particularly hot days I take a drink of water to her in a tiny little cup. She is the only one of my broodies who will drink from it and I think she just enjoys being waited on
wink.png

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC!!!!! I usually take them off if I haven't seen them off during the day. Put them near food and water..they usually go after it..then back to the nest they go!

welcome-byc.gif

Everyone was a "newbie" at some point so make yourself comfortable and feel free to ask questions.

It's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom