Newbie Silkie question.

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
Do all silkies get this buldge above their beak or is that sign of being a boy. He/ she is only 3 weeks so I thought it’s too soon for silkies. Personality wise it’s a scaredy-cat and doesn’t like people much even though he/she has been gently handled since day 2.

B17585F0-9558-4DDA-9C69-075D27DD04B6.jpeg

Ok great :) Thanks that helps. There’s still a chance she’s a she lol. I haven’t been around Chickens all that much and when I was I wasn’t looking at the silkies faces because they are usually hard to see . I’m hoping grumpy aka Patty will be more friendly as she gets older. I bought some watermelon to see if that will win her favor since she doesn’t like meal worms.

Ok great :) Thanks that helps. There’s still a chance she’s a she lol. I haven’t been around Chickens all that much and when I was I wasn’t looking at the silkies faces because they are usually hard to see . I’m hoping grumpy aka Patty will be more friendly as she gets older. I bought some watermelon to see if that will win her favor since she doesn’t like meal worms.

The more you handle them they will get more used to you, have you tried giving the lettuce? my chickens love lettuce and chips, even left over pasta? Silkies are a very calm friendly breed.

That’s a comb. Both genders of chickens have them. Males develop theirs first, females don’t really develop until they are close to laying. At 3 weeks you probably have a boy if it’s not flat.

Back
Top Bottom