Newbie some stupid questions about ducks

They can be trained to return to a coop at night- but they don't roost like chickens do-

My Muscovies roost like the chickens, I think they are unique in that way.​

Quote:
X2 Don't even get a duck if that is your thought proses. Please.
duc.gif

not meaning to sound mean..you would be surprised how many people dump there animals when they get older. I applaud you for asking
thumbsup.gif
. NOW the crazy feed store woman needs her back end kicked. LOL

How do you train them to go back. Do you schoo them back or what? Ducky from Oz I just want to say thanks. I can tell I irritated some people with my dumb questions but, I am really just nieve. I wouldn't never do anything that would put my chickens in harms way if I can help it and if I get ducks I will be the same with them. I am really just trying to find out how to care for them. I thought I would come here and get some real answers this isn't the first time I have gotten bogus information from the feed store lady. She is just very old and I think she is trying to be helpful but, unfortunately she answers things she really doesn't know the answers too. I purchased a roo from them last month she told me it was one breed and I did research just to find out she was completely wrong. I have learned from it to research whatever she tells me.
wink.png

Do you know anything about Khaki ducks do they try to fly South for the winter. If you get ducks is it a good idea to get them a small swimming pool, is that what most people do?

Thanks again,
Michelle

Quote:

OH GOODNESS NO!!!!!!!!!! I am not wanting to dump off any animals. I really thought they were suppose to eventually have access to water and I was really concerned about predators. I am completely fine with them staying here on the property.
wink.png
I am not surprised people do that but, that is sad.

Quote:

not meaning to sound mean..you would be surprised how many people dump there animals when they get older. I applaud you for asking
thumbsup.gif
. NOW the crazy feed store woman needs her back end kicked. LOL

Hey, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

The feedstore folks, in my experience, are ignorant as all ****. Please don't trust those folks without qualifying their knowledge and experience first, they are well-meaning but often VERY old fashioned and out of date about bio-security, etc. Heck, ours call me directly or give out my number when customers ask them poultry questions.

They love water. Give them some very large bins (cat litter bins work great), a kiddie pool, etc. and they will love you for it!
wee.gif

Yes, they can live together, but its gross. Duck poop is infinitely worse than chicken poop!
sickbyc.gif

Yes, our ducks free-range our property. And our neighbors. And their neighbors.
roll.png

You can train ducks to go pretty much wherever you want - just get a pail of feed, yell "Here ducky, duckies, duckies!" and they will waddle around whever you go. Cat food works, too!

I agree the only dumb question is the one not asked. I think I am gonna wait to get our duckies. Right now we have one very nice chicken coop. We are planning to have a barn built and have 3 or 4 of the stalls set up for chickens or birds instead of horses. I think I will wait until they can just have their own space. I think that will make everyone happier. I think I might get Khaki when I do.
wink.png
Seeing those little Khaki babies at the feed store just pulls at my hearts strings though.
droolin.gif
I will just have to be strong and wait.
barnie.gif

Thanks everyone for your help,
Michelle

Quote:

what a bizarre thing to say(the lady at the feed store) and so inaccurate! We have our muscovy for bug reduction and eggs. Ours are all left being capable of full flight.. they free range and are locked up at night, we only have a kiddy pool.. but they seem to fine with this, they also of coarse explore the farm and love the puddles and mud created by rain storms.

Another option for swimming and drinking for ducks are large concrete mixing pans (sometimes called multipurpose bins). They are big enough to allow 2 large ducks to swim in at the same time and hold about 25 gallons. The nice thing is they are a lot easier to dump than kiddie pools. Plastic or metal stock tanks work too. They come in various shapes and sizes and many of them have drain plugs installed already to make emptying easy. TSC also carries rubbermaid drain plugs that you could install into the tank of your choice. They also carry black rubber or galvanized feed bowls that come in various sizes, too. Whatever you get just needs to be big enough for a couple ducks to get into and bathe to keep clean and deep enough to fit their whole heads in past their eyes. And don't worry about irritating people with questions, at least you have the sense to ask them.

Hi there!
I have Khaki Campbells (is that what you are talking about when you say khaki ducks??).
I let them free range during the day, but bring them in a fenced in area at night to keep them safe. The have a coop in the fence so they can go in if they want to. Generally, they sleep outside. Their grain is in the coop, but since they forage during the day they don't usually eat much grain. I have a large kiddie pool in my yard and in the fenced in area for them. They don't usually swim, but they will get in there and clean themselves, then get out. I have to change it daily though, they are very messy! (that's why it is outside and NOT in the coop!)
They are too heavy to fly, so they don't usually go far. They will flutter around the yard though, it kind of looks like they are trying to fly!

As for winter, they LOVE the snow. Just like in the summer, they have a choice to go in or out of the coop. They generally stay out, even if it's snowing! I switch out the kiddie pools for rubber tubs, that way I can easily break the ice. You can also use a metal tub and put a water heater in it. I am debating trying that this year. Last year I had to water them 3 times a day (and break ice), but they are my pets so I was glad to do it
smile.png

So to answer your question, no, they won't fly away for the winter. They can't really fly in the first place, and as long as you provide then adequate food, water, and shelter, they won't wander off
big_smile.png

And the Khakis are WONDERFUL ducks to have. They are a bit more nervous than other breeds, but they can be very friendly if handled a lot when they are little. Mine are excellent layers. In fact, they out-lay my chickens! I get an egg a day from them even in the winter. I have a heat light in their coop for them, but since they don't go in there much I don't think that really matters.

I had mine with my chickens, but my drakes were mating with my hens
hmm.png
So I had to separate them, the hens weren't too fond of it!

Back
Top Bottom