Newbie Starting Out - Need Some Advice!

lmarcia

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
Hey y'all! I'm new to having chicks/chickens and will be getting mine (3 of them) November 20th. I had some questions that I hope this community (which is great by the way) can answer!
smile.png
I will be keeping them in our laundry room in a rubbermaid bin until they are about 6-8 weeks, since it's about to get cold in Georgia. I've done a lot of research and honestly, am just overwhelmed, so am coming to the community for specific answers to some of my questions! Thanks in advance!

1. When the chicks arrive, what's the first step? Is there anything special I should buy or have for them since they'll have traveled a long way? Will they go right in their little bin and eat or do I need to help them with this? Any tips are appreciated!
  2. I'd like to feed them organically as much as possible. What do I need to feed them? I've heard starter and scratch, but I'd appreciate knowing what I need to buy. I don't want to waste money buying product that they can't or shouldn't eat at this stage.
  3. How often or how much do they need to be fed?
  4. I have a heat lamp if the laundry room upstairs in our home gets too cold. Can they stay in their box all day?

Once we transition outside
  1. How often do y'all clean their coops?
  2. Can they be left out all day in their run as long as it's secured? For example, if I needed to leave for hours, should I keep them in their hen house?
  3. When do you transition them to more food/different food?

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom