newbie to broody hatching needs help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewChickenMom, Jul 4, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, i let 4 eggs accumulate in with her a couple of days ago and she didn't go broody so i figured she was a rare silkie that didn't go broody, now today she went broody with no eggs... [​IMG] i put one of the other silkie pairs eggs under her and she quickly scooted it under her and continued to set. i'm never done this before and i'm looking for advice and help. she's in a pen with her hubby and some teenage chicks, should i take her out? or can i just put fence up around her and her nest and leave her in the pen? (pen is huge, plenty of room to do this) also, can you tell me how this whole broody thing works?? will she lay more eggs? i'm getting some eggs this weekend and next week, can i put those under her? or will she get off the nest? i'm so confused... someone help!!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    If she is broody, she will not lay anymore eggs. yes you can put more eggs under her. the hatch date will be different. (21 day incubation). She should have access to food and water. I put mine in a place where she will be able to raise her chicks without having to deal with other chickens. (mine is the "nursery", )

oh, I wouldn't put in the eggs from next weekend, too long of a wait, IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by