Newbie to chicken world :-)

sdcanuck

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Rapid City, South Dakota
Hi all,

my name is Anne and this is my first foray into the world of chickens.I'm located just outside the city limits of Rapid City, South Dakota. We are looking at getting 4 baby chicks at the end of March or middle of April. Love the website and all the great advice! The kids (14 and 13) and I are pretty excited. Any recommendations for cold hardy and excellent egg producers?

Thanks ,

Anne

Glad you joined the BYC flock
highfive.gif

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

I would recommend the Wyandotte breed. Because of their small combs and profuse feathering, Wyandottes are quite cold hardy in particular. Mine have been fine in below 0 temperatures, and have also done well in 100 degree heat. Mine have been very good layers of 250+ eggs each per year, even through the winter. They have been docile, gentle, inquisitive, and personable. Other good breeds would be Orpingtons, Australorps, and Easter Eggers.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

I agree with Wyandottes7's recommendations on breeds. There are many breeds to choose from, all with their own qualities and disadvantages, each one suitable for different people and situations. For first-hand information on lots of chicken breeds, I would be sure to check out the Breed Reviews section of BYC: Chicken Breeds - BackYard Chickens Community

Good luck with your future chickens!

Hi all,

my name is Anne and this is my first foray into the world of chickens.I'm located just outside the city limits of Rapid City, South Dakota. We are looking at getting 4 baby chicks at the end of March or middle of April. Love the website and all the great advice! The kids (14 and 13) and I are pretty excited. Any recommendations for cold hardy and excellent egg producers? 

Thanks ,

Anne

One word, Australorp.
Ok two words Australorp & Orpingtons.
And if you have anymore room, Barred.
Welcome to the world of chickens.
Now draw up your master plan and then double it. Because,... When you start with chickens you will fall in love and want more, More, MORE!
Hope to hear from you soon

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Buff orpingtons are my personal favorite. They are docile, affectionate, great layers, cold hardy and good foragers.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. I would recommend Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are very cold hardy. I've raised them where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero and they did fine. They are also calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom