Newbie to Chickens!

Malfean

Songster
May 29, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am definitely new to chickens. I bought some from Tractor Supply Company and am expecting them to arrive today (Friday 5-29) or Saturday.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I built a brooder from an old large-sized dog cage, which could house probably over 50. But I bought 20 in my initial purchase.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have no idea yet. I only know that 10 of them will be 'rare' breed brown-egg layers, and 10 common breeds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
My entire mother's side of the family (all 10 of my Aunts and Uncles) are farmers. I used to get dragged to all the farms as a youth. My favorite thing was feeding the chickens. I like watching them walk around all day, making their little clucking noises. Its surprisingly relaxing for me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love gardening, coin collecting, writing, and (until this covid nonsense came along) travelling.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Married with 3 children, and a lovely older 'puppy' we like to call Mr. Cooper (he's half German Shepard / half Golden Retriever). I am a Senior Consultant at a modest firm outside Chicago.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community

Neighbor told me about this place, as he has 4 chickens of his own.

Good Morning! I am looking forward to hearing what your "rare breeds" end up being. Sounds like you have a great place for them to roam. I too, and ready for the Covid thing to get done! Welcome to BYC.

I bought a shed that I am converting into a coop for them. I figure I have a few weeks to get it up before the chicks are big enough. I also am building a chicken run for them. It will be, admittedly, a lot larger than really necessary (11' x 7'), but since I am converting my garden into a place for them, I don't think they're going to mind too much. Since I am a little on the tall side, the run will be large enough for me to walk in without bumping my head! Some might think its a bit overkill, but this is my first time, and I am more comfortable with giving my chickens a nice large space to roam and do chicken things, than keep them in a small space. Eventually, I'll wire up the shed/coop, so that they'll be happy and warm inside during the winter months!

Hello and welcome to BYC! This is a great place to learn and share your chicken adventures. A run that is 11 x 7 feet is a bit small for 20 adult sized chickens. Crowded chickens get bored and grumpy.

11x7 is too small? No problem with that. I can expand (because I haven't built it yet) to 13x8 if I continue with a rectangular run. Another idea I had been kicking around, would make it 16x18, and it would be to make the run in a semi-circle, essentially building it to encompass the total half-circle size of my garden area.

Back
Top Bottom