1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Newbie to having chickens in my backyard

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by papito, Mar 21, 2015.

1. papito

papito New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Hey fellow Minnesotan,

I live in Carver, MN and Im a beginner in having chickens and im struggle in getting the right size of coop for 3 Buff Orpington chickens. Im going the easy routine and buy a coop. Every where i research they state that the inside of the coop must have at least a minimum of 4 sq ft per bird in which every coop i have researched are small on the inside. Does anyone have Buff Orpington chickens and what size is your coop?Did you make it or buy it? Does any one have a good recommendation on a coop I could buy which will be good for 3 Buff Orpington chickens?

I appreciate any help

Thanks,

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Hello and [​IMG]

I would do the 4sq ft per bird, it is always best to have more space then less.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. arotherham

arotherham New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    [​IMG]Can you upload of picture of your chickens. I think I may have Buff Orphs too. I'm not quite sure. I'm a newbie too. When I went to get the chickens from the lady she said what the name was I just totally forgot. I was completely over whelmed. Mine have hair on their feet. I have a decent size coop with 3 hens. They are young and not laying yet. Here is a picture of my hens and my coop I bought. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by