Newbie Training Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by robinwiththechickens, May 3, 2011.

1. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    I've never trained anything in my life...I always end up getting trained so I have no idea what I'm doing here.

I've been trying to get my 6-week old chicks to hop up in my lap when I sit in my lawn chair in their run. I found out weeks ago that noodles are their favorite treat, so now they only get a noodle if they come up on my lap. After 2 weeks of this I tried today sitting down without the noodles and when they jumped up they gave me the most disappointed disapproving look and immediately hopped down.

My question is how do I keep them coming back if I don't have treats every time?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oooh a psych 101 question-intermintent reinforcement of the desired behavior is advised. In other words give them the spag at random times. Actually I would start by having them jump up, them show them the spag treat, then tell them if they want it they need to stay for a while for some petting and then start increasing the time before giving them a treat. The next step would be decreasing the frequency of the treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by