Newbie Wants Chickens With a Little Attitude!

cmajestro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
My city just passed an ordinance permitting residents to have up to six hens. I have been doing a lot of research about coops and have picked a design I want to build. Now I'm starting to read about the breeds. I have a six pound Yorkie who is likely to chase the birds if I let them out of the coop and into the yard from time to time. She is an older dog and has had a lot of her teeth pulled, but I will always be watching her and will put her back inside if I think the hens are in danger. Actually, my primary concern about getting chickens at all is that my dog may stand by the coop and bark at the birds every time she is out. I live in a historic district with close neighbors, and I don't want them bothered by barking.

Based on my observations of how my Yorkie interacts with cats, she is likely to leave the hens alone if they stand up to her, but chase and bark at them if they run from her. So, I am thinking I would be better off with hens with an attitude! If any of you have thoughts or recommendations for me, I would appreciate hearing them!

Cindy in WV

In that situation I would normally recommend getting a rooster, because they would be a little more aggressive towards dogs. You might want to get a larger breed like Brahmas...

Yes, I'm sure a rooster would do the trick! But I'm not allowed to have one! I will do some reading about Bramas!

Cindy in WV

I have no idea where to find them, though. They seem to be a lot more difficult to find than the popular laying hens. I've looked online and haven't had any luck so far.

Cindy in WV

You may have to order them in from a hatchery... Or you could try getting them special ordered from a farming store.

In that situation I would normally recommend getting a rooster, because they would be a little more aggressive towards dogs. You might want to get a larger breed like Brahmas...

Hello Earth To Emma! Cindy just said she can't have a Rooster.
barnie.gif

If you want big personality, game chickens are the answer. I have three hens and they are the bossiest, loudest and fiercest chickens in the group. No one messes with the game girls, not even the roosters! They're very curious chickens, and while mine are flighty and not really too friendly, I got them as adults. We recently raised a game/Marans cross, and those chicks were super friendly. They're wary of the cat (who is too lazy to try hunt chickens) and ignore our larger dog who keeps out of their way, but they've chased my sister's little dog if it gets too close to them. If you ever want to hatch chicks, they are also awesome moms.

The cons are they're loud! They fuss a lot and generally make a racket. They are really good at flying too. They go broody a lot and ours stop laying around the end of September/October or so without any extra light, but our started laying again in late December/early January this year. We have one that lays small eggs, one that lays medium eggs, and one that lays large eggs.

Back
Top Bottom