Newbie - What Breed to add with Buff Orps?

k9lin

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Hi all,

I have two week old buff orps. This is a new adventure for us, but one that we're all enjoying very much so far. I'd like to have 4 chickens total. Any thoughts on either a silver or golden laced Wyandotte, or a Partridge Rocks? We have a 4 year old daughter, who is pretty animal savvy but I'd want a more docile breed that is a fairly good layer. Thanks for any suggestions!

All you mentioned are great choices. How about a dark egg layer, or a blue egg layer? My ameraucanas produced all winter long.

I personally do not care for my partridge rocks. They are smaller than my buff orpingtons. They are flighty and skittish and always have been. They are also the lowest on the pecking order.

On the other hand my wyandottes are friendly, large and good layers.

If you like full bodied, fat and sassy chickens you will love both the buff orpingtons and the wyandottes.
smile.png

Don't mind sassy, at all..... just looking for nice, sweet chicks. I guess I'm more concerned for my daughter's friends that might come over - they might not be used to chickens... don't want any kid pecked at etc... And for some weird reason, I'm honestly not sure I could crack open a greenish/bluish egg......

Just to warn you, chickens love to peck at red things, shiny things (including your eyeballs) and anything that may resemble food (every object in the world except nuclear power plants).

Even my docile, sweet Buff Orps have grabbed and swallowed an earring and plucked out my contact lens (the eyeball thing).

No child at eye level is safe, no matter how "docile" the breed.
Just so the kid's parents know that...

Thanks for the reminder. I wouldn't let the kids go out there alone....

I never thought they'd go after my contact lenses! Wow!

Buff Orpingtons are my favorite......at least for now. But a close second is Wyandottes. We have Silver Laced Wyandottes. We also have Partridge Rocks, but they are not near as friendly as the others. Both the Buff Orpingtons and Silver Laced Wyandottes come right up to us and will perch on us and eat out of our hands. It is very rare for the Partridge Rocks to come anywhere near us. They are a pretty bird, but I am disappointed that they aren't as friendly as the rest.

I was watching my Buff Orp and Australorp hens today, while they were out freeranging in the garden. I kept thinking how good they looked together. My Australorp is my favorite hen. Friendly, gorgeous, inquisitive, a great layer, and extremly soft-feathered.

Quote:
I'd have to agree with this, I have a flock of seven hens made of of five breeds, my 2 buff orps & my 1 Black Aus get along great while they pick on the other breeds at times, as well as the other breeds not seeming to like each other as much. I always wonder of the buff orps & black aus know the are distantly related.

For me being a mom & grandma I would go with Buff Orpington!

There are good & bad in most breeds (many different strains) but, I haven't met an opington a kid couldn't pick-up!

If you read all the different chicken catalogs they describe they to be calm, gentle friendly & easily handled (works for me)

Back
Top Bottom