1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

newbie winter questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jtinker00, Dec 26, 2012.

1. jtinker00

jtinker00 New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    holly, mi
    a friend of mine has a few eggs in the incub. for me. i was planning on building a brooder outside for them. the only issue is that i live in michigan and its cold. i can keep them warm but how long do they have to be in the brooder before they are able to be in an outdoor coop?

2. jtinker00

jtinker00 New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    holly, mi
    i think i found the info i needed. after about an hour of searching around the site i found a good thread that answered my questions. thanks

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

There are some great and very informative threads on here. I find it's easier (and quicker) to type the keywords, for example "at what age can chicks go outside" into the advanced search bar on top, just under the BYC logo. I call it "chicken google" as it's similar to google, but all chicken related LOL

Have you seen this section on brooders?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-brooder-designs-pictures

And this:

Raising Baby Chicks - Notable Topic Index - Please Review

Good luck and enjoy your babies!

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I X2 the advice of sumi!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by