Newbie with 11 week old Black Australorps

JennDV

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
NY
Hi, I am a new to the backyard chicken scene. We have 4 11 week old Australorps who are awesome but I am concerned that at least one is a roo. We aren't allowed to have roosters due to zoning and I'm not optimistic about my ability to re-home. The one I'm concerned about is the second from the left. Is there any chance she IS a she??

I'm voting for cockerel. I'd wait though....just to be safe. Were they sexed before purchase?

Hold out for a bit longer. I have some that are maturing faster than the others, with bigger, and redder, combs and wattles, and they're all girls. So far nothing is screaming out roo to me, they all look like pullets at this point.

Thank you for the advice and guidance! The mystery has been solved - as of 5am this morning. The little guy started crowing (or trying to). I don't suppose there is any chance that noise could have been a hen stretching her vocal cords? ;-) We are pretty sad about it and are searching for a new home for him.

Well that sucks!
hmm.png

We are sad about losing him. He left this morning for his new home. But we were fortunate to find someone who has other chickens and can keep the roos. So he'll have space to roam and a new flock. Fingers crossed none of the remaining three turn out to be roos. They already turned out not to be the Australorps we were told we were getting. They are Jersey Giants.

Back
Top Bottom