Newbie with 2 questions

Moshy

Hatching
Apr 1, 2018
Hello fellow quail raisers!
I have had chickens for about a year and love them. So I branched out a little to some quail. Started when out bunny passed away, and we'll we'll there was a hutch sitting there unused .;)
I first bought 3 quail at a flea market. Was told they were mountain, but really appear to be Italian and looks like one male 2 female .I then bought 5 more of various coutornix. The Italian we're not laying but the 5 I brought home (besides the one male) we're already laying .Got a few days with 4 .then .three. Then 2 .then one. Now no eggs for the past 3 days. I did have some construction going on in the backyard but still not sure why the Italian have not laid at all and all the others stopped. I was feeding crumble with about 18% protien and oyster shell suplimented with some meal work treats .Switched to game bird feed today with 24% protien .A few of the girls are a little tore up from one wildly horny male .lol
Also, why do their little butts pulsate!?
Thanks for any help!

:welcome
Quail don't like change. The eggs you were getting were in their system.

Sometimes it may take them 2 to 3 weeks til they are comfortable with new surroundings before they start laying again.

Thank you! Does it bother them to be held .They don't seem to mind it. But wondering if that can bother their egg laying .

Back
Top Bottom