Newbie with 54 eggs in the bator! Help!

ekempin

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
We picked up 54 eggs today (all different breeds) and I went ahead and stuck them in the bator(hovabator with egg turner) Should I have let them rest first? Also, there were too many eggs to fit in the turner, so I put some along the side and had to stack a couple on top...is this okay? Once I weed out some of the bad ones I will stick them in the turner, but will it work for a couple days? Ahhh so many questions! But I will try to keep it to a few per post. Oh, and I'm Elise and I live in AZ! I am doing a research project on embryo development.

Hi
big_smile.png
i am new here too. I got from tomorrow on about 30 eggs in my bator. silkies,frizzles,polish and cochins
good luck hatching
fl.gif

ill be sending you some positive juju your way

When they come in the should sit at room temp for about 8+ hours. I dont think the ones on top will turn would they? if they do make sure you candle at day 7 for viening.

Does it make a difference that they were just layed today? We got them local.

If they are local they are fine...usually shipped eggs are the ones you let rest to let the air cells rest up....stacking them is ok if your going to turn the first 7 days til you candle...then you can weed out what doesn't develop....Just hand turn 3 times a day ....

How much do I turn them exactly? Like rotate or just tilt?
Also, what does RIR stand for? I keep seeing it...

Last edited:
I have 49 in my bator...thought I would hand turn for a day, switch them with a row in the turner, hand turn those for a day, etc, etc.....thought this would give them a better chance than me getting them turned just right!

I do both hand turn with one bator and my new one has a turner...if they were mine I would rotate them with an X on one side and an O on the other...at day 7, I would candle and remove clears, still keeping questionable ones.....then put them in the turner, turn it on and let it do the work for you...

How many does your turner hold?....

and like Katy says RIR is a breed of chicken..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom