Newbie with a Coop Question!

Cluck You

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Hello all,
Can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy this site and all the friendly input.

I have been interested in getting my own backyard chickens for some time. I do not have them yet. I am researching the coop options. I only want 2 or 3 chickens and have been eyeing the ark style coop sold on this site. Just wondering of anyone out there is using this coop and how they like it. I am a bit confused about the design, as I thought the inside must have a place for them to perch and that the nesting box should be above the sheltered area.

Any clarification you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I want to have everything in place and comfortable before I bring the babies home.

Many thanks,
Julie

First----
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
balloons.gif

As far as the ark is concerned a lot depends on where you live and the weather. There is no one coop that works for everyone in every situation.

I will however, recommend that you get three chickens as they need to be in a flock. If one passes for whatever reason (and they do sometimes with little warning) at least the two of them will still have company.
128fs318181.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio I have a bit of advice,think small(coop) since you have 3 chickens. you can always add on when & IF you increase your flock
gig.gif
Be sure that you build your coop up off the ground. Your chickens will be happier.

Last edited:
I bought an ark before I had spent lots of time here at BYC, and I'm now trying to sell it again.
roll.png
Once I got my chicks, it just seemed like it would be too small and too hard to ventilate. It also seems like a waste of space, really cramped up top where they would roost. It is a very simple ark though, no run underneath (we were going to build one), so I don't know what type you are looking at. If you free range 'em it might work just for nighttime, though.

But watch out for chicken math....I thought I was immune and wanted one or two chickens, then it became four. I still don't know how. I may use the ark for the "extra" chickens that might come our way....don't tell dh....
wink.png

And by the way we ended up getting a Little Tikes coop which is perfect (I think) for a small flock. It's cheaper and has more room than the ark for your girls.

Back
Top Bottom