Newbie With A Question!

henhousefreak

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 17, 2013
Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC but have had chickens for a few years. It all started when a friend visited me at a house I had just started renting and it had a chicken coop. He saw it and told me he had ordered 24 chickens of mixed breeds and it was too many for him to have. He asked me if I wanted any. He dropped off 9 hens. I was instantly in love with the 3 month old hens. Now just over 3 years later I only have 3 of those original 9 left. I've moved twice since then and a chicken coop is always a must.

I recently purchased 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 1 Australorp. When I got home I realized that one of the Wyandotte hens had its entire top beak broken off. I wondered if it would grow back, but now know it won't. My concern is that her bottom beak is getting real long. I always put her pellets and scratch grains in a deep pile so she can pick them up but I'm noticing that she is getting smaller while the others are getting bigger.

My question is...can the bottom beak be trimmed without any pain and how far back can I trim it. Does it need to be trimmed to a point or can it be trimmed more square. I'm worried about my hen getting the nutrition she needs. I would appreciate any input I can get. Thank You!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

You might try posting your question in the Diseases/Injuries section of the Forum for more knowlegable responses - good luck.

Welcome to BYC. The lower beak can be trimmed back to the quick - much as you trim a dog's toenails. Repeated careful trimmings can gradually 'force' the quick back somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom