Newbie With Ducklings!

AnjKar n Ducks

Chirping
Jul 14, 2016
The Battle Born State
My Coop
My Coop
First off I have so many questions :hit

I ordered 2 Cayuga ducklings from Metzer Farms because they are one state from me and I heard they are great.

They will be arriving in 1 week and I want to be prepared so I don't have any fatalities!

How old will they be when they arrive, guessing 1 week??
Do they need a brooder or a box with a heat lamp?
I have starter is that the way to go?
I have a female Cayuga should I try to introduce her to the ducklings or wait until they are mature enough to enter the cage with them?
Anything else I need to know??

Thank You In Advance For Helping Me! :D

Congrats on getting new babies! I'll answer your questions in order:

1. They'll likely be one day old - if you're getting only two Metzer is going to overnight them to you, so they should be one day old when you get them.

2. Yes, they will need a heat source in their brooder and a heat lamp will be fine for that.

3. Chick starter or waterfowl starter will be fine to feed them.

4. No, don't try to introduce them until the babies are the same size or nearly the same size as her.

5. Check out this article for more care instructions.

Congrats on getting new babies! I'll answer your questions in order:

1. They'll likely be one day old - if you're getting only two Metzer is going to overnight them to you, so they should be one day old when you get them.

2. Yes, they will need a heat source in their brooder and a heat lamp will be fine for that.

3. Chick starter or waterfowl starter will be fine to feed them.

4. No, don't try to introduce them until the babies are the same size or nearly the same size as her.

5. Check out this article for more care instructions.

Thank You So Much
I was so confused and this is my first year with ducks. :eek:
You made this so less confusing

Just a heads up on Metzer, unless you specifically requested and paid for overnight shipping they will be shipped priority mail. This is their standard shipping and technically could take 3 days. This generally NOT an issue and their birds arrive next day.....I'm only mentioning this bc my Cayuga and WH got caught up in a post office debacle and, despite living 2hr 45 min from Metzer, arrived late on day two. While Metzer does not offer a tracking number, if you need it, you can call and request it. Again, this was NOT a Metzer problem, but rather a post office issue not having enough live animal pallets causing a delay in hundreds of birds Metzer shipped. Ducks arrived tired but perked up within an hour of vitamin/electrolyte water (trick: VERY FINELY chop up greens and sprinkle them in the water and they'll hydrate super quickly trying to grab the goodies). Gorgeous ducks, folks at Metzer were super sweet and comforting with the snafu, and my girls are now 3 months and just outstanding! Congrats and post pics when they arrive!!!!

Just a heads up on Metzer, unless you specifically requested and paid for overnight shipping they will be shipped priority mail. This is their standard shipping and technically could take 3 days. This generally NOT an issue and their birds arrive next day.....I'm only mentioning this bc my Cayuga and WH got caught up in a post office debacle and, despite living 2hr 45 min from Metzer, arrived late on day two. While Metzer does not offer a tracking number, if you need it, you can call and request it. Again, this was NOT a Metzer problem, but rather a post office issue not having enough live animal pallets causing a delay in hundreds of birds Metzer shipped. Ducks arrived tired but perked up within an hour of vitamin/electrolyte water (trick: VERY FINELY chop up greens and sprinkle them in the water and they'll hydrate super quickly trying to grab the goodies). Gorgeous ducks, folks at Metzer were super sweet and comforting with the snafu, and my girls are now 3 months and just outstanding! Congrats and post pics when they arrive!!!!

Thank you for the help. I was worried because The post office has screwed so many packages here. I will probably try to get a tracking number and I talked to the main person at the post office and they will be watching, hopefully.
I'll post pictures, definitely :fl :weee

Here's the ducklings they arrived this morning at 9!
I'll try to get a picture in a couple of days when they are use to everything and
full of energy!
I'm just in love :love :weee

Here's the ducklings they arrived this morning at 9!
I'll try to get a picture in a couple of days when they are use to everything and
full of energy!
I'm just in love :love :weee

Congrats on your babies arriving! Mine arrived from Metzer today too! Aren't they the sweetest? I can't wait to form a stronger imprint with mine! :D :love
Also, do yours have leg bands? :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom