Newbie with problem with chicks perching on roosting box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OlivenhainChickens, Dec 22, 2008.

1. OlivenhainChickens

OlivenhainChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm brand new, will be posting pics of my new coop soon, and am having problems with my two chickens perching and sleeping on top of my roosting box. Even though they have great perching rods above the box, they still do this.

I was thinking about putting something on top of the roosting box so that they can't perch there.

Is that the right thing to do or is there better advice?

[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sometimes putting a board with a severe slant to it on top of the boxes will help.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

How old are your chickens? Are they laying yet?

Putting something on top of the nesting boxes should keep them from roosting on/in them. Just make sure that they can't roost on what ever you put on the boxes. What kind of boxes do you have for them?

What I did was wait until it was getting time for our girls to start laying before I ever added the nesting boxes to the coop.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    How wide are the perches ? Are they steady or will they move around when the girls get up there? How high are the perches ?

They may not be comfortable on the perch. Most use 2 by 4 so there whole foot is on the perch and they can sit on there feet to keep them warm. They need to be higher than ther nesting box as they usually like to get on the thing that is the highest.

5. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree with chicken women.

And [​IMG] .

6. OlivenhainChickens

OlivenhainChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks!

The chickens are about 3 months out from laying.

The box, a pre-made box with three spots, is about 15 inches off of the ground of my two story coop.

I'm going to try to put a slanted board on top of it so they can't sleep there.

Here is my coop. Please help me by giving your thoughts...both good and bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    You got a nice coop, try to block the nesting boxes for a while ad install more roosts for them may be they get out of the habbit.

Merry Christmas.

Omran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by