Newbie with questions

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Hello all. First time chicken owner. Got started with baby chicks in May this year. I have a few questions about pest such as worms and mites. Are those things something I should treat for on a regular basis as a preventive control or only if I know they have them? And also how do you know if they have them? Also what do you use to treat worms? What about mites? Just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep them healthy! Thanks so much for everyone's help! I'm still learning.

The first advice is to keep the coop very clean. Inspect their vents regularly for mite "nests". Make sure they have a place to dust bathe. You will read conflicting advice about diatomaceous earth, but I do use it to dust them if I see any evidence of mites. For worms I treat with Piperzine from my vet. They can test the poop for you. Good luck and welcome to the awesome world of keeping!!

Clean food and water, clean bedding, and enough space and fresh air is what is really needed. Sometimes people do more harm by adding strong chemical cleaners, or by keeping them 'safe' in too small of areas.

I would not treat unless you see evidence. If a bird is bright eyed, active and eating and laying, they are pretty healthy. If there feathers get ratty, or a black smudge, or you see things crawling, or if you see worms in their poop, then you need to do something.

Mrs K

I would not treat unless you see evidence.
Ditto Dat!
Have some permethrin dust and/or spray on hand.

Check them over regularly and real well for mites and/or lice.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

And should you keep something on hand for worms? And if so what do you use for worms?
I have never needed to worm my flock, but would advise a fecal float at a reputable lab who will report species and numbers so you know if you really need to worm or not, and with what.
Other southerners may have different regimes due to it never freezing down there.

Back
Top Bottom